Monday, November 7, 2011

Fabric Pumpkins

Fabric Pumpkin!
Here are the directions:
NOTE: If you have a rotary cutter, USE IT instead of scissors! Much easier but I think I lost mine in the move :(


 Fabric Needed: Large 10” x 21”, Tall 10” x 18”, Med. 9” x 16”, Small 7” x 10”

 
1. Fold fabric right sides together making a sq/rect.
 
How I pivot when sewing- keep the needle in and lift the presser foot.
Always back stitch to secure your stitches.

See? Secured!
Cut the cord;)
Sew down 1 short side and 1 long side. (1/4” seam)

2. Do not turn right side out yet. Make a squared bottom by spreading
apart bottom and folding up one side and matching it to side seam and
folding up opposite side and matching seam to fold.

Fold as directed. I always iron to hep keep seams opened. Plus, ironing helps to keep your pumpkin standing up.
3. Measure 2” in from point for 3 largest sizes and 1” in for small size
Measuring and drawing a line in pencil so I know where to cut.
Cut off points to leave 1/4” seam
After you cut 2" from the tip of the triangle
Sewing the edge
How it should look after you sew the edge closed
4. Turn right side out.
Standing up
With double strand of heavy duty thread make
a knot 5” in from end and sew a gathering stitch ¼” in around top of
pumpkin leaving a 5” tail.
Make-do gathering stitch
So you get the idea... be careful not to break this stitch! The purpose is so you can pull this open or closed. For the finished product, this will stay closed

5. Weight the pumpkin by placing 1-1/2c.cat litter in a Ziploc bag
for Lg. pumpkin, 1c. tall and medium, and 1/2c. for small. Stuff
pumpkin. Pull up gathering stitch and tie leaving room for cinnamon
stick stem.
(Sorry I do not have a picture of this step for these pumpkins yet. I have to get the supplies. Will post soon!)

6. To make pumpkin sections use embroidery floss as if tying up a
present…number of sections is up to you…tie a knot.
(Will post soon. You can look at the examples below to get an idea.)

7. Decorate!
Mine is the front left. This was my first attempt to make one and I thought it turned out wonderful!
You can get the decorations at Family Dollar or Micheal's if you are feeling fancy!

If you have any questions while creating this, shoot me an e-mail: hebertm08@students.ecu.edu

I get e-mail straight to my phone!

Sincerely,
Marcy

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I want things like this in my new house. They are decorations that can be knocked over and broken too, that's a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://thecottagehome.blogspot.com/2010/09/fall-fabric-pumpkin-tutorial.html

    Found this- like my directions but even cuter!

    ReplyDelete