Thursday, July 12, 2012

"Say It Ain't So"

I wish I posted on a regular basis so I wasn't feeling like I am playing catch up! Since I wrote my last update post....
  1. The school year finished out and my students did well on their finals! The Foods I final exam scores were wonderful!!! The week after school was out we had a Common Core workshop where we focused on getting our curriculum maps completed for the next school year as well as trying to alter our thinking towards project-based learning. I love the concept and have many good ideas but just need to find ways to get more specific for each one I have. It was a lonnggg week but very beneficial for me, especially being a new teacher.
  2. My brain has officially defrosted ;) I have been able to do some de-cluttering, soul searching and relaxing! Been able to try some new recipes. I have kept up with Zumba and been able to hang out with some of my EC friends. 
  3. Was able to celebrate Father's Day with JJ's dad a little late but nonetheless, we had a amazing time. Spent some time with my family over the Salter families events. My sister and her husband had their marriage blessed in the Catholic church on their 5 year anniversary. That same day, Aubrey, Cullen and James were baptized.  JJ and I are Aubrey's godparents. This bring up a new point...
  4. When we were first asked, we both were more than honored. But this title was without a doubt what got me to change some of my thought processes. What kind of spiritual guidance would I be able to offer her? JJ has always been stronger in his faith than myself. Since this event I have definitely doing some soul searching from how I spend my time to what I think about even down to the choice of words I am using. I wouldn't say I have done a 180 but just trying to continually think of ways to improve because none of us are perfect. Of course I want to be the best/nicest/most genuine wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, "mommy to the dogs" and even stranger to those I do not know. But even more importantly, I want to be the best "me," I can be. 
  5. I started an experiment to try not to be so "bossy" in my marriage. It's easy to just say how I feel right when it occurs, especially to my husband. He has truly ALWAYS been there for me, more than anyone and in ways I just can't begin to explain. The only other person I can rate here would be my absolutely, stellar mother. The two of them are the only people I have truly broken down in front of and let it ALL out. They have been my biggest supporters with their unfailing love and acceptance. They keep me striving to always be the best I can be. But back to my "bossy" change, I started with little things like biting my tongue when he was driving one time back home (I am the absolute WORST "back seat" driver when he is driving!). After a couple of ALMOST slip ups I started to relax. Once I did, we had some of the best conversations on the drive and laughed so much at random things. We didn't talk about bills or or jobs or stresses in our lives. We just had fun. The second thing I did was for a whole week I didn't boss him to wake him up or clean up after himself. Although the house did get a little messier, it was worth it to not see ANY friction at the end of the day. I even noticed he was even MORE attentive to the dishes/laundry that week. I was amazed at what a small change could make to our daily lives. 
  6. JJ had to get his wisdom teeth out last Friday. They had to cut up into his sinus cavity and even down into his jaw to remove his 5 (YES, 5!) wisdom teeth. I felt beyond helpless once I got him home. I felt worn out myself! I made sure to wake up every 2 hours to make sure he took his medicine, remembered to feed him first and it was until Saturday night that I realized.. I HADN'T been eating! This was awful and I felt like complete crap. But even through his swollen-ness and feeling like death he knew I wouldn't go fix myself something to eat when I was too busy taking care of him.. he ordered me a pizza knowing he couldn't partake.. now, that's a great husband!
  7. Lastly for this blog, JJ and I are going to be the soccer coaches @ PCHS this fall. JJ will be the head coach and I will be the assistant. He was taken such charge in getting everything together and being honest, it's pretty sexy!!! It's nice to see him able to get into something he is so passionate about again but this time for other people..the students/team! I thought keeping ourselves busy would help my continue to push aside thoughts of having children but being honest, seeing him shine through in this leadership, seeing how our relationship is thriving and just everything is NOT helping my case!!! ;) Only time will tell but as for right now, going to continue to enjoy our lives and my new teaching career/coaching position this year and give it my all!
Lots of Love! Marcy

1 comment:

  1. Love you! And am so proud of you!
    PS The bossy thing takes years and years and years to perfect! I know because I'm still trying to get it down pat! Don't give up though! It truly changes every aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete